Wednesday, May 26, 2010

This is a tree

that grew in very difficult circumstances, heavily filtered light and surface soil with bad drainage. When a tiny seedling this tree found a safe place on a nurse log. The nurse log provided nourishment, a boost from the underbrush, a bit more access to light, and protection.

After a time, the seedling developed its own roots and could take care of itself, and later still, as is inevitable in the circle of life, the nurse log disappeared completely, leaving a healthy, thriving tree behind.

I was asked to find a picture from a magazine, etc. that I felt illustrated my relationship with my mom. When I saw this one, it kinda spoke to me. It's not a perfect anology, but there is no such thing, is there?

5 comments:

furiousBall said...

that is beautifully non-conforming and this fellow non-conformist loves it.

that's similar to my life - a single dad raising two kids that started his own business and had his girlfriend move in with him that is also starting her own business. it's not supposed to work, but with enough love it always does

Charlene Amsden said...

So you have this huge emptiness ... my heart aches over your heartache.

Jocelyn said...

AWWWWWWWWWWW. You got me with this. I was so interested in that kind of tree, and then you went and made it all metaphorical, and now I'm all AWWWWWWW.

Anonymous said...

i guess the perfect analogy would be "a is like a". boring, but effective. your analogy, however, is excellent...

lime said...

rather interesting how they both seem to hold each other up.

hugs