Wednesday, October 04, 2006

FIRST order of business,
I am the guest today at
Come over and tell me I don't suck.
it would really mean alot to me.
NEXT,
I was tagged...
AGAIN!
Actually, this tag is nearly a month old and I am a TERRIBLE internet twin for not doing it earlier.
So, here's to hoping kyahgirl will overlook the lapse.
Books, books, books
(I can't do exclusivity, only one choice is too hard!!
So, here is my list, even if I didn't follow directions well. )

1. One book you have read more than once.

I will actually re-read all my favorites every five to ten years.
I most recently re-read Long Dark Teatime of the Soul


2. One book you would want on a desert island.


Well, depending on how far this island is from shipping lanes either The Worst Case Scenario Survival Handbook by Joshua Piven or, if it's a hopeless case, an enormous anthology of some sort, or the complete works of Shakespeare.

3. One book that made you laugh.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, and the Dirk Gently books, oh, and The Bridget Jones books.
4. One book that made you cry.

One of the first books I can remember making me cry is the James Herriot book, All Creatures Great and Small.


5. One book I wish I had written.

(Did you notice the meme just changed from the third person? Went from you to I, I hate that! Switches back and forth from here, very annoying)
I can think of some books I wish they had let me edit, but none that I wish I had written.

6. One book you wish had never been written.

Most textbooks fit into that catagory, though there are a very select few I found extremely helpful and kept, but the majority of them seem to specialize in making even the most interesting information unbelievably dull.

7. One book I am currently reading.

Words, Words, Words, by David Crystal,
The Club Dumas by Arturo PĂ©rez-Reverte,
Ars Poetica by Clay Reynolds
and I am re-reading A Matter of Honor, by Jeffrey Archer
Call me a multitasker or ADD, either one might fit.

8. One book I have meant to read.

Confederacy of Dunces, I've a copy on my nightstand even now but I keep reading library books instead and putting it off since there is no return date on it.

9. One book that changed your life.

Bloom County Babylon: Five Years of Basic Naughtiness by Berke Breathed
This may seem an odd choice, but my early interesting in politics, my love of penguins, and my dandelion addiction can all be traced to the time spent pouring over these pages.

10. Tagging:
I will tag only those who wish to do this list,
lemme know if you do and I will come check it out.

15 comments:

Nessa said...

Very inteeresting choices. I thought the Dirk Gently books were very funny, too.

lime said...

i let ambrose know that i concur with your self-assessment.

also a fun meme. i can't say bloom county shaped me as it did yo u but it certainly did feed my love of skewering those that deserve it most.

Stephanie said...

I have read none of those books.

I would have said the same thing for #5.

LOL at Bloom County changing your life - I am so not surprised.

Doug The Una said...

You don't suck. And Lime was the first to say so. Today, I mean.

Logophile said...

Goldennib~ I read the first one aloud to my younger brother and he had to wait for me to finish laughing to continue reading for quite some time in a some spots.

Blither~ The Club Dumas has started out MOST promising, yay!

Lime~ YAY! Thanks for the back up on that. Skewering the deserving, I like it.

Snavy~ I actually thought of you as I typed that answer, you are one of the few people I know who would share that one.

Doug~ You are too kind, I am moved beyong measure.

The Grunt said...

Logo, aren't you all meme'd out yet?

S said...

Your Ambrose post is so cool!
I may take this meme for next week, gotta think about it...
S

Kyahgirl said...

You don't suck Logo. And really, you were about 10 years late for your 'twin' arrival with me so I can live with a month late on the meme :-)

I enjoyed reading about your book choices. I need to check some of those out.

My memories of reading the James Herriot books are mostly laughing my guts out but there were quite a few sad parts too. Actually I'm laughing now just remembering the farmer who accidentally got the poop sample instead of the ointment and couldn't figure out why he was supposed to rub it into his hog's back three times a day. Another Tristan oops!

thanks for playing with me!

Logophile said...

Grunt~ I think I may just take a break now, but I couldn't have my sis thinking I was neglecting her!

Susie Q~ Take it, and you are welcome to it, I'd like to see your list. Glad you like my guest post :D

Kyahgirl~ That is a pretty fun meme, I am thinking now that I will add Creatures Great and Small to my re-read list, those are such great stories.

Actonbell~ Thanks! I am looking forward to reading that one, I just keep finding things as I walk through the library that want to come home with me and I put it off.

Anonymous said...

you were absolutely FABULOUS at WA today! (and i loveloveloved your comment on the Snark, too... thanks for helping to make CJ feel welcome!)

as for Berke Breathed? oh how i love his work. i haven't been the same since i first read Doonesbury (Garry Trudeau~ and by first read, i mean i remember the FIRST cartoon) *and* Bloom County. did you happen to see Second Hand Lions? it is an absolutely wonderful film, and nicely features Breathed's drawings. (great film for the whole family).

well done on this meme... and again, at WA. you are one rockin' lady today! and i mean that in the BEST way possible! (questionable 'twin' sisters, motorcycles, & thong panties notwithstanding!) xoxox

Minka said...

Minka did this meme already :) Some time ago, wnat me to find it for you. It was pretty funny, even if I say so myself!

oh and you were sparkling over at Doug´s page!

Sar said...

Lady Logo, between your WA guest turn and your meme, I'm all the more convinced you're one lean mean reading machine. Is there anything you don't know? ;)

Seriously, great job all around.

tsduff said...

Kyahgirl told me I could see you on your bike - well? Does yours have a side car? :-) Mine doesn't. Just nice loud pipes.

Logophile said...

Neva~ I have seen Second Hand Lions, loved it, and recognized his work too, very distinct style. Thank you for your kind compliment, did you actually take the coffee quiz? (snicker snicker) Talk about arcane, sheesh, I really had to dig around for some of those questions.

Minka~ I believe I recall when you did it, and this is the ONE meme Doug did, wow. As for sparkling, I was merely reflecting your glow, darling ;)

Sar~ The things I don't know I claim are unimportant, it's incredibly arrogant but keeps me feeling good about myself.

tsduff~ The one link to Kyahgirl's blog in Doug's write-up (under unsavory relations) features a picture of me on my Rebel. The only loud pipes around here are on Mr. Logo's Harley (Sporty) which I borrow with great regularity. My next bike will be a V Star. :D

Logophile said...

Cindra Jo~ I was attempting "Shock and Awe"
It worked so well in the mid-east, ya know.