Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Trivia Tuesday

Last week, The Idiot won at 80 and Neva, Minka and Joel tied at 70, good show!
This week, I am wimping out.
Feel free to hit a quiz from any Tuesday in the archive or
Here...
Take your chances at Sports Trivia
or
Take a timed 10 question trivia Quiz
or
See how you do with some American History Trivia
or
play with WORDS.
Hope you all find something trivial enough to suit you there.

Now, if you feel brave, stick around for lesson from the life of Logo™

I am from beautiful Whidbey Island in the Puget Sound.
Only those smiled upon by the gods can claim Washington as their place of origin
and to be from Whidbey Island?
That clearly denotes a special measure of favor.

Its either 36 or 62 miles long, depending on where you measure, that makes it either the longest,

second longest,

or third longest island in the lower 48.

We island folk are comfortable with the ambiguity though,

so it's OK.

Today I took my motorcycle on the ferry from Everett, WA across to

Clinton, from there I rode to my parent's home in Oak Harbor.

I miss the twisty little backroad the highway on the island used to be.

These days it is straighten and flattened, has wide shoulders and groomed greenbelts.

I remember when being able to drive that road at fifty miles per hour spoke of familiarity and a decent ability to negotiate a slithering roadway

(outside-inside-outside, people, and accelerate through curves).

Sigh, progress, you know how it is. Anyway...

Below is a local landmark of Oak Harbor, the windmill.

A monument to the early founders of the town, many of whom were Dutch. Inventive lot of folks those Dutch,

they named the harbor after the trees,

and the town after the harbor.

And now, Whidbey Island trivia, YAY!

1. Whidbey Island's State Routes 525/20 is the only nationally designated Scenic Byway on an island.

2.Historic Coupeville is the third oldest incorporated town in Washington State.

3. Gray whales migrate between Whidbey and Camano Islands during March and April of each year.

4. Whidbey is the home of Penn Cove Mussels, harvested off the coast of Coupeville.

5. Whidbey Island and Camano Island comprises Island County.

Coupeville, on Whidbey, is the County Seat of Government. However,

Whidbey Island and Camano Island have no direct route of transportation.

One must pass through two other counties, providing quite a conundrum for vital county-wide services.

Clever, eh?

17 comments:

Minka said...

I am first!

And I had no idea that you were from such a tiny place.
It all makes sense now :)
Just kidding!
Youa dded to my geography knowledge, that is not an easy accomplishment *applauds*

S said...

Ahh Whidbey! Lovely!

I didnt realize what you were up to yesterday or I might have worried...that was a long ride!

lime said...

gorgeous pictures. you are trying to convince me to buy a ticket. i just know you are.....

The Village Idiot said...

Logo Lies, That is a picture from somewhere the sun shines, the sun never shines in Seattle and the surrounding areas

Andy Land said...

Aren't blogs, by nature, pretty trivial in their own right?

Loved the photo. I haven't been out to WA in a long time. I worked at Silverwood Theme Park in Idaho for a summer doing shows and got into WA a bit, but not quite enough I'm afraid.

Thanks, Logo for stopping by & commenting at my blog today. Much appreciated. If you ever want to do a link exchange just drop me a line.

andy@andymartello.com

Fred said...

Whenever I went to Seattle, all I got to see was the downtown area. Looks like I missed out on the real beauty.

Anonymous said...

yeah... i didn't get to spend much time in your gorgeous area back in my band days, either (we played in spokane). that said, my sis and husband spent several months in Vancouver a couple of years ago, but totally fell in love with your... er... um... cloudy, rainy, crappy region. which is why they hope to move up there (from Three Rivers, CA) some day in the near future. (and when they do, don't think i don't plan to extend my blogger-buddy-in-person horizons, because i surely DO! i know. stop calling you shirley).

my brain has been too fried all day to take any quizzes, but i'm looking through a bit o' my own trivia and shall attempt to email you later with a few things you might be able to use for the next new one you do. or not... it's up to you! xox

Logophile said...

Minka~ YAY you! Now hey, that is a good sized island, perhaps not too big compared with Iceland, but hey, what is? Glad I could sketch in your geography of the Northwest.

Susie~ It was a great way to spend a day, and other than they guy who ran a red light and tried to cream me in Everett, it was a very safe and enjoyable ride.

Lime~ You know you want to come, I am going to send Milquetoast to whisper in your ear at night (Bloom county reference, did you see that one?)

Idiot~ Can't you see all those clouds? Its just a little cloud break at sunset, but other than that it SUCKS around here, its awful.

Andy~ Thank you for pointing out the triviality of my pursuits, I feel closer to you already. If you did time in Idaho you really can't get to Washington enough, can you?

Fred~ Next time you come drop a line, I will send you to all the good spots, maybe even show you a couple if you like.

Neva~ MORE californication?? Well, as long as you will come for a visit and they are talking about staying down in Vancouver I spose that is ok, its almost Oregon after all. Looking forward to some triv from you too!

Maddie said...

My brain is fffaaarrr to mushy to take the quiz, I just stopped by to say hello. Whidbey Island looks like an incredible place to grow up.

Also, it's funny to see conundrum in the end of your post, because I typed that same word just before I came to your blog.

The Grunt said...

I commented after Pants did. That makes me the socks!

S said...

I aint taking your damn quiz!

But I do love Seattle!

And, no, its never sunny there...

Stephanie said...

I want to visit Seattle.

Sigh ...

Logophile said...

Pants~ Great minds, similar vocabularies. No worries, my brain was far too mushy to write a quiz, so it all works out well. The island was a great place to grow up, it really was.

Grunt~ You are the socks? eow!

Blither~ Me toooooo!

Susie~ I know, it's a real shame about the weather, oh well.

Snav~ Get your ass out here!

Seamus~ wink wink, well done, sell it, honey!

Robin said...

I took the language quiz and only got a C. Dang. I'd have done better with the sports quiz!

Sar said...

On the one hand, I'm relieved that there's no quiz for me to feel guity for having missed (again!). On the other hand, look at the great pix & descriptions I missed! *sigh*

Logophile said...

Funky~ I didn't take any, I am totally wimping out, so buuuuusy!

Sar~There are still plenty of quizzes to take if you would like to self-flaggelate :p And the pictures can be enjoyed at your own pace, that is the beauty of island life, you know, keeps its own time.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful, if somewhat isolated (?), place to be from.