Friday, August 18, 2006

Well, its Friday

...and in the manner of energy efficient bloggers the wide world over I am falling back on a tried and true formula. That's right folks, its time for 55 Flash Fiction. And since I am from Washington, I am especially good at conservation, so I am not even going to write any new ones. I realized when I was doing some file sorting that I have written forty different 55 word flash fiction pieces. Some of the first ones I wrote were never even posted on this blog, they were only ever comments over at Susie's.
So, I decided to post a little review.
Hope you find something that doesn't repel you.

This is the first one I wrote.
In a balmy ocean breeze languid fingers entwine, matching new rings shining brightly. Smiles exchange, tender and private.Passion flares, and suddenly the sparsely peopled beach seems crowded. Belongings are gathered and stowed as the young lovers hurry to answer the call of love. A lone old woman watches with a smile, remembering joy.
-----
I wrote this 55 for Lime when she suggest
Screaming Yellow Zonkers as a topic.
She was thinking of the candy
but being difficult, as I am wont to do,
I did a different take on it.
Leaning forward she reached up with her right hand, fingers seeking a hold. No, still too slick, she re-chalked and tried again. There was an ideal crevice for a fist jam just overhead. The Screaming Yellow Zonker was graded 5.11, but she knew she could do it. After all, she survived holidays with her mother-in-law!
------
This one was inspired by real life events.
Late at night, fingers stroke, caressing a forbidden love. Silence is so important, critical. If heard, if he discovers them together like this, at this hour, he will be so annoyed. She smiled, enjoying the stolen moments. Then she froze as she heard, "Will you please turn off that bloody computer and come to bed!"
------
I wrote this 55 at Monika's request, and about her.
I rather liked it and because of her busy vacation schedule I'm not sure she ever saw it.
Definitely due for a reposting.
A woman of many languages and lands sat down and waved her hands over the magical tool that would bring familiar faces she'd never met right to her room. She would converse with people she could not hear and explore worlds without form. As long as Minka had the internet, who needed a crystal ball?
-----
This last one is not by any stretch the best one, but I like the story.
Mr. Ratburn accused me of writing a girly 55, so I challenged him to a 55 duel.
We wrote at the same time and I finished first with puctuation and grammar in place
and as you see below, the topic was NOT girly.
He awarded me an A for my efforts.
The midday sun beat down on his bent head but his concentration never wavered. Drops of sweat beaded and rolled down his forehead, stinging his eyes. He swiped them away and continued. The sun glinted off the carefully angled magnifying glass clenched tightly in his fist. Those stupid ants didn't stand a chance against him
There you have it, the 55 retrospective.
Have a good weekend.

16 comments:

Nessa said...

You deserve an environmentalist award.

egan said...

Your first paragraph rocks.

Callie said...

You are just amazing.

lime said...

creative, eco-friendly, articulate AND beautiful. does it get any better? i think not.

James Goodman said...

Wow, these are great. Nicely done.

S said...

Very well done, my fellow bloggerette!

XXX

Minka said...

yeah, I am in there. Gosh i wouldn´t have wanna missed that one:) You never even mentione dit afterwards, you little minx!
But I am glad I saw it and yay for 55 Flash Fiction.
I canæt believe I never sat down dn actually tried one...
Well, I still have a couple of years unlived...not all hope is lost!

The Grunt said...

Logo, you are a 55 machine! So, where do I put the money? Because I want more!!

egan said...

Fiddle Faddle anyone? Screaming Yellow Zonkers or Fiddle Faddle? Which came first?

Logophile said...

Goldennib~ I will inform the committee that you think so.

Egan~ Yeah right, like you even read it, whatever...

Callie~ Why, thank you, I think you're rather amazing yourself.

Lime~ It gets better in person!!

James~ Thanks, I especially appreciate that coming from you.

Bare~ Thanks, mwah, good thing I love you or I wouldn't put up with all your harrassment :p mwah!

Minka~ You should definitely try it, they are fun and not very hard. Glad I timed it better this go around so you got to see that one.

Grunt~ Just put it in my hand, little man, great big sweaty wads of cash are my favorite.

Egan~ I am so not going to research that, but if you do, please share.

Mayden' s Voyage said...

5 is my absolute, all time, favorite number...loved this! :)

Kyahgirl said...

you rock sis! :-)

Anonymous said...

love it, LOGO!!!

i especially like the buildup and the punchline of your forbidden love!!!

Logophile said...

Mayden~ So glad you liked it

Pigsflyatnight~ Thanks

Kyahgirl~ So nice to see your face (avatar)! Thank you, thank you.

Guggs~ Thanks, I wish Mr. Logo appreciated it as much as you do.
:p

David Amulet said...

Those are great flashes, I especially like the one you did for Monika.

-- david

Logophile said...

David~ Thank you, took me a while to notice this comment, sorry. I like the one for Minka too, that is why I didn't want her to miss it.