Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Wednesday's child is full of woe.

While I was not born on a Wednesday, I am feeling sympathetic.
(I was born on a Thursday, and for those of you keeping track, yes, I STLL have far to go).
Yesterday, Thing One (that is the older one)
and I went to visit my family.
It was an hour long ride and about halfway through I stopped at a fabulous little place where they make to die for sandwiches and an incredibly good cup of espresso.
The guy asked me if I trusted him and when I grudgingly assented he made me a Cuban.
That was a new way to drink a shot for me,
and it was delicious.
My favorite bar in Italy used to put the sugar into the cup before they pulled the shot,
and stir it in half way through, so you had nice undisturbed crema on top and it was lovely.
Then Thing One lost a glove, 20 minutes later we were on the road.
He got to play with his cousin who is heading back to the east coast later this week.
The picked blackberries and got to go to the store by themselves.
All was going well until it was time to go.
THEN
Thing One attempted inadvertantly to poison himself.
He wanted some ice tea.

His auntie and I told him it was in the kitchen.

He went to get some and the next thing I hear is retching sounds,

Turns out he had poured himself a nice glass of....

Yes, Pine sol.

Mmmmmmmm

My mother went into full-on panicking dither mode

so we sent her home (across the street) to check her closet for ipecac.

He was already puking, it was a blatant attempt to keep her out of trouble.

We called poison control and they said the puking was good,

give him milk when he's ready to keep something down

and expect a sore throat for a while, he's fine.

Much relieved we changed him shirt, washed his face

and got him some milk.

Then my mom came over,

still panicking

and gave us the number to poison control.

We explained it was done, all was well.

She insisted on calling them because SHE had been talking with someone

there who wanted to know what he had ingested.

So while she was reviewing the events on the phone...

an ambulance pulled up.

My mother had called an ambulance too.

Now, for perspective...

this is the woman who told me (when I was a child)

"If it isn't bleeding or broken, I don't want to hear about it."

As a small child I ingested bleach...twice.

But, this is her grandson,

and panic seemed the appropriate response I guess.

He was fine within 30 minutes,

sucking on peppermints and observing,

"I haven't gotten this much attention since I broke my arm."

14 comments:

lime said...

oh my dear logo, i am sorry for the drama from mama. i am glad thing one will be just fine. can i offer you a 'different poison' for your own much needed relaxation?

Nessa said...

Sounds like standard grandma reaction here, too. Glad everything turned out well.

Anonymous said...

WOW Logo!!!
I certainly hope he's doing ok!!
You keep your cool in stressful situations. You're good to have around!! :)))
V

PS: Say "NO" to MONGOOSE COFFEE!!

Sar said...

Holy frejoles! What an adventure. Glad to hear both mamma and son survived.

Btw, the photos of ice'd tea & Pine Sol? That was some funny posting, Lady Logo.

S said...

I am so glad the Thing was ok!

Logophile said...

Lime~ Mojito? You betcha!

Goldennib~ Thanks, and oh sure, take HER side ;P

Actonbell~ As long as the gramma is happy, everything is good.

Vera~ No mongoose coffee, got it. Don't go creating crisis to allow me to showcase my talents, ok?

Sar~ I just wanted to point out HOW such a mistake was possible, they do look alike. lol Glad you enjoyed, and yes, all is well.

Barefoot~ whew, and just as sassy as ever!

The Grunt said...

I'm glad he is ok. As a little kid, I once ingested a can of Liquid Wrench. That really messes with you. So, I'm feeling Thing One's pain right now.

Minka said...

LOL to Thing 1s response :)
He learned how to get attention. Just keep aptrol away from him for a while.
That must have been quite a shock though... I don't know what the liquid is he swollowed (pulling my foreign card!) but I assume it is not veggie oil :)

G said...

Minka: Let's just say it belongs in toilet bowls, not mouths.

Yucckkkk - poor Thing 1. Further proof that some kids will do anything to stay an extra half hour. Is this the stow away?

Let calmer heads prevail I say (or someone said).

Sweet and Salty said...

I was enjoying the story and saying, hey Cuban coffee is good stuff, keep you awake for hours, and wondering about Italy and then, Pine Sol?! Holy Cow...
I'm glad he's okay, but about grandma, doesn't that just irk you to know end? My mom was the same. Your brains had to coming out your ears before she's even attend to you...

egan said...

So if you break a leg... how much attention will you get? Pine Sol drinks for everyone!

Logophile said...

Grunt~ You are a sympathetic soul.

Minka~ It is a cleaner (household soap) that has pine oil in it, and yes, he knows how to get sympathy.

G~ This was the less successful stowaway, I caught him before I even started the van, his little brother got away with it for longer. Calm, hmmm, that counts out my mother!

Pavel~ The Cuban coffee WAS wonderful, I lived in Italy for three years, that is when I was drinking it there, and yes, the Pine Sol came as a shock to Thing One and I as well. The transformation from mom to gramma does interesting things to a gal.

Egan~ Leg breaking is just tiresome, no soup for you.

Kyahgirl said...

oh dear....that is scary. Your mom sounds like a real treat :-)

Logophile said...

Oh she IS, best served after a large alcoholic beverage of your choice
:p