Saturday, September 24, 2005

No thanks, I'm fine, I don't want to sit right now.

Now, far be it from me to speak for the whole of the canine world, but let me just tell you a lack of following direction does not always directly correspond to the intelligence of the creature who chooses not to do as instructed.

"You may have a dog that won't sit up, roll over or even cook breakfast, not because she's too stupid to learn how but because she's too smart to bother." - Rick Horowitz, Chicago Tribune

2 comments:

lime said...

perhaps i can extend that grace of assumed intelligence to the dog, do i have to extend it to my husband when he rufuses to carry a dish to the sink?

Logophile said...

That, my dear, is entirely up to you and should probably be taken as part of a whole. Does the creature seem to understand other basic verbalizations? Are simple logic, problem solving and inference skills demonstrated?
When viewed in totality, the matter of following directions can only be regarded as one indication of intelligence, it cannot be used as a litmus test.

word verification-fuawyfq
Is that dirty? Should I tell someone about that?