Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Things I've learned this week.

  1. The force with which the exoskeleton of your average flying bug strikes the shin when one is travelling in excess of 80 MPH results in a painful experience.


  2. Riding on a motorcycle for more than 90 minutes continuously or for a total of more than about 5 hours a day is uncomfortable (that is the medical use of uncomfortable, as in, it hurts like a ***********!).


  3. It is not as easy to find a hotel with an indoor pool and hot tub as one might optimistically assume, though it certainly can be done when one is dedicated and has friends who will conduct internet searches for you.


  4. Motorcycle travel makes weather conditions a VERY important factor.


  5. When one is travelling by motorcycle on switchbacking mountain roads with a 7% grade and very tight corners one can usually handle the curves safely at 10 to 20 MPH faster than the yellow caution signs indicate. Loose gravel on the roadway will alter the previous estimate.


  6. Eastern Washington and Oregon bear a remarkable resemblance in places to desert-like mid-western states.


  7. A week of motorcycle travel will make one long for a professional massage therapist like a meth addict jonesin' for a hit.

Here are some photos of the trip.

The bikes at our lunch stop on day one, Leavenworth, WA.

Here are the Things enjoying some swimming while I soaked in the hot tub and visited with my friend Avvy on our first night in Kennewick, WA.
The second day we made it to our destination in Baker City, OR. The Hells Canyon Motorcycle Rally is hosted by the town of Baker City and everyone was very welcoming. Our two junior motorcycle riders attracted a fair bit of attention and they were repeatedly informed that they are very lucky young men. The riding harness we use on Thing Two was also appreciated.
Ice cream, a recurrent theme of the trip. It seems scenic sights are lovelier, music is more lyrical and everything is better when the Things have ice cream in their hands.
The Oregon Trail Interpretive Center overlooks a preserved portion of the actual trail where you can still see the wagon ruts in the ground. The Things got to pack a wagon, deciding what things they would leave behind and what they would choose to bring along. The fine china was left in the east and the 50 pounds of salt came along. Frankly, if there was no soft serve and waffle cones I doubt they would have made it.
Sunday evening we were travelling west into an incredible headwind and sadly enough Mr. Logo's poor little Sporty petered out of gas. He and Thing One entertained themselves on the side of the road...
rescuing tumbleweed from fences filled some time until
help arrived. Finally we crossed the Columbia and returned to Washington, even if it was still the wrong side of the Cascades. The Columbia is rather pretty though.Here is a World War I memorial in Klickitat county. It bears a notable resemblance some stone monument located in Europe.
While historian generally discount the notion that the original stone alter was ever used for human sacrifices we thought we would try it out.
Monday we stopped in the little town of Toppenish, WA. Home to dozens of murals dedicated to the history of the town and the Yakima Valley.
Mr. Logo could not resist the opportunity to express his appreciation for fine art.
Tuesday we hit the last stretch of highway headed for home with a brief stop off at Snoqualie Falls since the Things had never been to see them.
As you can tell from Thing Two's expression the ice cream was purchased AFTER the picture.
We arrived home and picked Ariella up from the puppy hotel yesterday around dinner time.
Now if you all will excuse me I am scouring the phone book for a massage therapist with an opening today.
It's good to be home.

19 comments:

armalicious said...

Thing Two is awesome. The picture with the ice cream and without the ice cream are classic.

I sounds like quite an eventful trip you had there, my dearest Logo. I love it when vacations turn into learning experiences.

armalicious said...

Oh yeah - I'm really glad you're home too!

megabrooke said...

i love the pictures. esp. the icecream ones, like arm said.
remember that game, the oregon trail?

Gill said...

Great trip photos Lo!
I am still reeling from the idea that you packed only one small bag for the week.
You, my dear, are the packing GODDESS.
xo

S said...

Heh! SO thats what Stonehenge looked like before it got broked!


Looks like you had so much fun!

lime said...

what an awesome travelogue. it looks like a good time was had by all. the things are indeed very lucky things.

robkroese said...

Yeah, my recollection is that riding a motorcycle is fun for about 45 minutes. Then it starts to hurt a lot. Makes it difficult to make good time.

Still, it looks like fun.

Logophile said...

Arm~ It was a good trip and we've all agreed that with a nice long break we would be willing to do it again. I'm a homeschool mom, you can't take me anywhere without it turning into a learning experience :p And I'm delighted to be back, thanks.

Brookem~ Oh man, the early days of educational software! Good times

Blue~ Thank you, thank you, and we only had to do the laudromat once! Course, I was working with a limited wardrobe but it was still a good time.

Susie~ Its true, we did and yes, that is about what it looked like, minus the bikers.

Lime~ Was good, and yes, we are.

Diesel~ We have sheepskin covers which buy us an additional 15 to 30 before your butt makes it clear it is time to take a break. Yup, it was fun.

furiousBall said...

Welcome home...hey a real live tumbleweed!

you know the other day I cut some guy off in traffic and he rolled down his window and shouted "asterik asterik asterik asterik asterik asterik asterik!"

now I know what he meant!

Jocelyn said...

Wow. I have pictures of me at that same war memorial! Hee.

Fun trip, outside of the pain and all (I never believed people when they said it was "fun" and "comfortable" to ride long distance on a motorcycle).

The Grunt said...

Awesome trip, Logo. I would love to have a good motor bike to check out the country. I'll start saving.

Anonymous said...

I don't think I could do a bike trip... Once I fell asleep I'd probably fall off the bike, huh?

Nessa said...

What an amazing trip. Good to have you back.

Anonymous said...

Haha! Awesome and some funny pics! I'm with the Things though, ice cream makes everything better! :D

Looks like you all had a great trip. Glad you're all back safely.

Breazy said...

Wow, it looks like you all had so much fun! I can't wait till our vacation.

Have a good day and I hope you find that massage therapist!

TLP said...

Better you than me! I love a road trip, but I like a car around me.

What a good mom you are to do this with your Things!

Unknown said...

It hurt like what? A bunch of asterisks? I don't get it. I've never heard of something hurting like a bunch of asterisks before. Hmmm ... Have to ponder that one.

Looks like a fabulous vacation. Glad you're back!

The Ferryman said...

You are going to kill yourself on that thing one day, but until then, have fun!

Looks like a great trip!

Logophile said...

Furiousball~ Oh man, what a pottymouth, I can't believe he would talk to you like that!

Jocelyn~ It's pretty cool, eh? And it can be fun and comparatively comfortable if you take breaks and stretch and such.

Grunt~ You should do it, Grunty, it's awesome, cept when there is dead stuff, then it's stinky.

Blither~ You just need a harness, and a good rider.

Goldennib~ It's good to be back.

BS~ Thanks, yah, its hard to argue the ice cream point.

Breazy~ I did, yay! Have a good weekend and I hope your vacation is fabulous!

TLP~ Aw, thanks, its good fun and unless its raining the car approach doesn't appeal to me more, add rain though? Oh, Im ALL about the heated leather seats, and a ROOF!

Dorky Dad~ Clearly you must experience more pain in your life :p Good to be home and blogging, ahhhh

Mr. Fab~ It was a great trip and alot of fun, but thanks for that cheery prediction!