Tuesday, January 06, 2009

"The world is so full of a number of things, I'm sure we should all be as happy as kings."

(Identify that quote for $200?) This sums up how I'm feeling right now.
Balancing cynicism and wonder is an ongoing feature of my inner life. Today wonder is winning.
It's another misty, green, grey day in Washington. But this one is amazing, somehow unlike the the 20,000 just like that have already come and gone.
The snow is almost completely gone, the plants have stretched out and remembered how to stand up straight after weeks of hunched survival. It feels good to be outside. The air is cool but welcoming and it's not a bit cold.

It's also perfect weather for catching up on some reading while being comfy and cozy indoors with a cup of tea.


I'm not a raving Terry Pratchett fan but last year I became acquainted with his not-quite-Christmas story, The Hogfather, and our whole family really loves it.
Death is a really wonderful character and he says this about us;
"HUMAN BEINGS MAKE LIFE SO INTERESTING. DO YOU KNOW, THAT IN A UNIVERSE SO FULL OF WONDER, THEY HAVE MANAGED TO INVENT BOREDOM."

When you stop to consider that, it really is quite a feat. Hope you all are finding more wonder than boredom.

11 comments:

lime said...

seems like an ogden nashy sort of quote but i don't know.

it's all about awareness and gladness, isn't it?

furiousBall said...

i'm totally chocked full of wonderdom

tsduff said...

Now THAT is a scary last picture... *shivers*... I like the one of all the boys in bed reading... looks happy and comfy :)

Isn't that some kind of Robert Louis Stephenson quote or something?

Happy Spring is on the way
Winter's going day by day
So throw some peanuts
Look for jays

They fly right down
And make your day :)

Doug The Una said...

I really like that quote. This is why cynicism and wonder are related as the enemies of boredom.

egan said...

Are you still happy up there today? I've heard about the epic flooding there. It's insane. I've never seen this much rain, but I guess it's to be expected after the epic snowfall. It's got to go somewhere.

Vera said...

terry pratchett = extreme witticism

*waves*
/vera

cathy said...

It sounds like something Winnie the Pooh would say.

I have most of Pratchett's books I love them.It's so sad that he has EOA.

cathy said...

I googled after guessing and found a treasure trove of uplifting children's poems (A Child's Garden of Verses).

I've been pretty down lately with one thing and another and reading some of my favourites from this classic book reminded me that life's greatest pleasures really are quite simple. Thankyou, now excuse me while I go and introduce my kids to some goodstuff:)

Logophile said...

Lime~ You know, you're right! It does have a rather Nash-like quality. Perhaps cutting my teeth on poetry like this explains my affection for Nash when I was older.

Furiousball~ You are a bargain, a twofer, wit and wonder (with a spicy side of cynicism and some sweet stuff for dessert, dang, you are like a buffet or something), what a deal!

Terry~ He is much less scary than he looks. At least in Pratchett's view of the world. You got that author exactly! oh, and what an awesome verse, talented woman!

Doug~ I always offer my children some extra chores when they flop around claiming boredom. That seem very effective so I would posit that work should be added to your list. :p

Egan~ My house is in no danger though some of our access points were getting cut off there for a while. Epic is about right...sheesh. If we end up with another lame ass summer I'm going to feel slighted by the weather gods.

Vera!!! mwah, Hello, its been ages! I have to read some more of his, he really is very clever and funny.

Cathy! mwah, long time no see! I didn't know that about Pratchett, its so sad. I'm glad I pointed you toward those verses right now, so you can enjoy and share them with your babies. I love a lot of them and so do my Things.

Minka said...

Did I miss a Terry Pratchett post? *panicks*

I am a raving fan, the character "Death" is cool...he likes cats and speaks in CAPITAL letters and he becomes a farmer in one book! :)

Logophile said...

Minka~ You didn't miss it, you just got to it a little later, its ok. I am adding Pratchett to my reading list. I bet Death farming was an amusing read, heh