Monday, April 09, 2007

Do you see what I live with?!?!

My beloved, the quintessential Type A personality, has a tendency to obsess on what I consider to be the minor things in life. Things like, keeping cabinet and closet doors closed all the way at all times, having the milk jug situated squarely on the shelf in the refridgerator, and various little things like that.
I consider it my responsibility to help him interface with life in a more realistic manner.
Now, from when we first began sharing a domicile there has been significant improvement. He no longer arranges all the canned foods like that guy in Sleeping With the Enemy and he does not insist on having all flat surfaces completely cleared at all times.
He thinks he has made great strides in improving my lacksidasical approach to matters and it's true I usually manage to remember to close the cupboard doors and little things like that.
There are times though, he really get annoyed with the strangest things. Our room is divided into HIS side, MY side and the center is the DMZ (demessified zone). If things start piling up there he yells, "Encroachment!"
Well, at some point recently a pencil ended up on the floor on my side of the room. Mr. Logo began keeping track of how long it was going to sit there. At day six he could hold his peace no longer and threatened to blog about it. Just to show the STRESS and STRAIN he endures having to live with me. In order to faciliate his sainthood I decided to let the pencil remain.
Today I needed to vacuum our room though, and you can't really vacuum with a pencil right there, so I picked it up, carefully vacuumed the whole area and gently returned the pencil to its resting place.
You know, if that vein on the side of his forehead that gets all bulgy ever really does blow I am going to feel a little bad about that.

ALSO...
Last year a friend of mine came home from a concert and started quizzing me about various little things, primarily scientific in nature, and then giggling like mad at my answers. Finally I asked what was so funny and she told me that she and her husband had heard a song and it made them think of me.
I responding by not writing anymore flash fiction about quantum physics :p
No, really, I thought the comparision incredibly flattering and very amusing and wanted to hear it, especially after I'd read the lyrics.
Now Youtube has come to my rescue.







Hots for the Smarts!
I like a girl in satin who talks dirty in Latin
A girl who's flirty when she quotes Krishnamurti
If she likes to be goosed while researching for Proust
Then I'll know she's my kind of creature
Among her delectables, her intellectables
Must be her sexiest feature
I've got the hots for the smarts
Hots for the smarts
IQ off the charts
Give me brains over hearts
I've got the hots for the smarts
I want a girl from Mensa with a furrowed brow
When the tenses get denser, she gets it - and how!
I need a polymath called Cindy or Kath
Who likes her Plato not too platonic
An autodidact who can add and subtract
While sipping her Tolstoy and tonic
I've got the hots for the smarts
Hots for the smartsIQ right off the charts
Give me brains over hearts
I've got the hots for the smarts
I want a girl with a feel -getting obscure here-
for Faraday's Wheel
A girl who'll drool for Fleming's Left Hand Rule
Some men like pin-ups of girls who do chin-ups
Like Xena The Warrior Princess
But I'll take to dinner my Nobel Prize winner
With plutonium stains down her dress
I've got the hots for the smarts
Hots for the smarts
IQ off the charts
Give me brains over (you know the rest)
Got hots I want a girl who knows loadsa Kierkegaard and Spinoza
A girl who plays chess humming "Porgy and Bess"
Now she must be able from her logarithmic table
To find all those decimal places
What do I care, she's nothing to wear
When her teeth are imprisoned in braces
I've got the hots for the smarts
Hots for the smarts
IQ off the charts
Give me brains over hearts
I've got the hots for the s-- there might be more
I want a girl with a brain goes on forever- the size of Siberia
With a haughty disdain of all things inferior
Now I don't want some learner with a Bunsen burner
She must be the finished article
Who sees our attraction as a chemical reaction
And charm as merely a particle
I've got the hots for the smarts
Hots for the smarts
IQ off the charts
Give me brains over hearts
I've got the hots for the s-- could there be more?)
I want a Ph.D. who reads Linear B
Who applies her lotion with a Brownian motion
Now some men may favour a girl who's a raver,
A tease, or a saucy young minx
But I'll get undressed with the girl I'm impressed with
Who's tunneling under the Sphinx
I've got the hots for the smarts
The hots for the smarts
IQ off the charts
Give me brains over hearts oh please
I've got the hots for the smarts
I've got the hots for the smarts.
--------------------------------

24 comments:

Em said...

I love the room divisions! And I was just thinking...look how clean your carpet is! And then you revealed you had just cleaned. But you put the pencil back just to torment him. I love that best of all. :)

Balou said...

You tormentor you! I love that he threatened you with a blog! LOL! And that song is perfect!

Unknown said...

You placed the pencil carefully back on the floor after vacuuming. I don't see how your husband could have a problem with that. It's clearly where the pencil belongs. Otherwise, why would you replace it?

lime said...

lol, the WA pencil wars.....i can see it now.

armalicious said...

Are we married to the same man?

"Mr. Logo began keeping track of how long it was going to sit there."

Mr. ARM does this all the time. And I have my own room for my crap & it's not allowed in our bedroom. That way my clothes that I never put away, my piles of papers, books, pens, etc., and all of my crafty stuff can be closed into it's own separate room. Yesterday, though, he came in while I was working and said "it's getting kind of messy in here...you should pick it up." Do you know how hard it was for me not to throw a knitting needle into his eye? He also threatens me with cleaning up my stuff for me. He knows I don't want that because he throws things away that I wouldn't. Evil men...we need to chat.

DaMasta said...

Yes, you are quite the saucy young minx! I forget now, are you an Aires? If you aren't, you sure would make a good one! :)

Logophile said...

Em~ It was a moral imperative.

Balou~ I do love that song though it does seem to go on very nearly forever.

Dorky Dad~ In a very holistic way it is where it belongs, where it wanted to be. If he were as in touch with the universe as I am he would have realized that.

Mr. Fab~ Once one picks up the pencil, vacuums and replaces it, that no longer qualifies as passive agressive. I will not try to define it, it has a certain je ne sais quoi one either instinctively grasps or does not.

Lime~ Makes it sound so dramatic!

Arm~ They ARE evil! I agree. I have a standing offer to Mr. Logo, he can build himself a clean room off the garage, sure the airlock will be a little pricey but since the family LIVES in the house occasionally it is going to look lived in. We mostly have come to an understanding and it only took 16 years!

Damasta~ :p I'm an aquarius but almost the next one, be that as it may, yes, I am DEFINITELY a saucy minx :D

Rusty Nails said...

Hmmm...the Logo makes herself so picked on. What she fails to mention is how Mr Logo goes to great lengths to assist with order. You see a corner of a wicker thing in the lower right of the "pencil photo?" Yeah, $150 dollar chest to complement the room decor that she can use for clothes storage...INSIDE! What you don't see is the mound of clothes chest high piled on top. No, she doesn't need sympathy...Mr Logo does. (There should be "group" for us who must endure so much). But, 16 years has taught us coping skills.

DaMasta said...

Umm.. hands work on boys just the same as they do on girls, Mr Logo.. Now be a good boy and pick up the clothes.. remember to bend from the knees--not the waist.

OH, and don't forget the pencil!

;)

Rusty Nails said...

'Scuse me Damasta...you don't seem to understand the sitch. The basket isn't for communal clothes storage but Logo clothes storage. The clothes pile; not communal...Logo's. Mine are tucked away in their appropriate drawers and / or hung on hangars in the closet...black hangars for pants; clear plastic ones with swivel head for dress shirts, etc. Would you like to know the contents of my drawers?! ;)

Hobbes said...

Unfortunately for our house, not one Weirsdo has anything remotely approaching Mr. Logo's compulsions.
What a refreshing approach to love.

The Grunt said...

I can't decide whether you and your hubby are like I Love Lucy, The Brady Bunch, or a combination of the two.

Bsoholic said...

haha! That reminds me, I should probably pick up some of the random objects that have been lying around here for quite some time. Eh, forget it, they can hang there a while longer.

Anonymous said...

Ozzy and Harriet!

lime said...

rusty, it is clearly a disease with you.....

S said...

LMAO
Navy damage.......


Honey, you know I got the hots for the smarts, and so does Mr R.

G said...

Encroachment! I love that. We have a similar situation although it is me staring at the unpicked up pencil and Scissors blissfully unaware. Why I ask, why!

Love the tune Smarty pants :)

DaMasta said...

Would you like to know the contents of my drawers?! ;)

Rusty - I believe Logo has already posted that picture ;)

Logophile said...

Beloved~ Go whine on your own blog, darling, I'll get to it...eventually.

Damasta~ You tell him, girl.

Mr. Logo~ Your OCD is showing, dear, and yes, we wouldn't want you to ever pick up someone else's mess.

Jules~ Thank you, thank you, it's so fulfilling to an artist to have their work recognized.

Weirsdo~ I'm all about the giving.

Actonbell~ Mr.Logo would not change it quietly, he would change it, but not quietly.

Grunt~ :p Silly, we are not like that at all!

BS~ I'm with you, a little clutter never killed anyone, although Mr. Logo might disagree.

Cindra~ That's us, baby :D

Lime~ I knew you would understand.

Bare~ It's true, it's all true.

G~ I've designed a system in which he writes down the little things like that which are bothering him, because I am not actually ignoring them to irritate him, I just don't notice them, and then I take care of them for him, usually. :p

Damasta~ Frightening, wasn't it?
(shudder)

robkroese said...

Some people are just so easy to mess with that it's not really fair.

C said...

Lucky for me MuNKi isn't like that in the least. Nor are any of the little MuNKis. Needless to say, our house is often a disaster. Sometimes I leave things on the steps in the hopes that they will disappear into the children's rooms - mayhap by virtue of House Elves. They never do.

Logophile said...

Diesel~ Its true, mwah hah hah

Candace~ I wish I had elves, or even brownies. I'd leave out milk and stuff if they would do stuff.

Anonymous said...

That's nice, Logo, but I meant the SONG was a refreshing approach to love. . . .

Logophile said...

Weirsdo~ Oooooooh,
THAT!
Yes, it is.
Love it