Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Chicken? Where?

Mourn with me.
My Georgia mug broke.
Despite repeated resuscitation efforts she passed beyond my reach Sunday at about 3:30.
At about 4:30 I went and bought a new one. Seen to the left here is my new mug which Mr. Logo immediately started eyeing up longingly. I am still adjusting to the differences but I have high hopes that my sunshine mug and I will have a long and fulfilling relationship. One of the nice things about the new mug is that it requires less explanation. There were usually questions about why someone from the NW who had never lived or vacationed in Georgia (although my cumulative time spent in the Atlanta airport accounts for enough of my life to equal a vacation the stress level of those moments disqualify them) would have a mug from there especially given my feelings about the south in general. I just liked it! It was purchased in the Atlanta Airport, that swirling vortex of torture and mayhem. It was built over a portal to hell is all I can conclude. There is something of mythical proportion about trying to find one's way through corridors so long you can actually see the curvature of the earth, desperately racing to traverse multiple concourses to reach a connecting flight in the space of ten minutes and then languishing for hours after the flight is cancelled, delayed or sent on without you. I can't talk about it anymore, it's making my eye twitch.
To more pleasant matters...
This is how my entryway looked Sunday night.
We purchased paint, flooring, a new light fixture and set to work tearing it apart. The Things have been removing nails from the trim and I have been painting. This is what it looked like yesterday afternoon. It's not quite done yet.
I finished the ceiling and most of the wall yesterday. We will be doing the trim and the doors next. The new light fixture can go in now that the ceiling is dry but the floor will wait till the weekend when Mr. Logo will install it. I love painting, it's such visual, immediately-gratifying work. Mr. Logo and I tend to paint in much different ways. He takes his time, paints with precision, and purses his lips. I spent more time than he does laying drop clothes, taping, and I always have a wet rag handy but I actually paint faster than he does. But he doesn't really like to paint so over the course of our marriage a great deal of the wall painting has occurred when he is away. He also appreciates the end result more when he doesn't have to watch the process. Well, I have to go. If the weather cooperates today I hope to get the exterior of the front door started. I'm VERY excited about the color of that. Pictures to follow when its done!

17 comments:

DaMasta said...

HUH? Chicken?
My dad does all the painting in my family. He's a Taurus. Very maticulous. A perfectionist. Everything has to be set up and done as so. Verrry slowly. And no one else can bother him. No one else is allowed to participate. LOL I'm so glad you let your Things participate in the fun ;)

Umm.. never been to Georgia, but thanks for the heads up on it being built on top of the portal to hell. Good to know, good to know..

I went to San Diego last year and their airport is heavenly! Suuuper nice people (would you expect any different in San Diego, i ask you??) and beautiful restaurants.. such a nice, new airport :)

Rusty Nails said...

The mug shall be mine. Oh yes, it shall be mine. Just kidding. I like my new one just fine. Awesome job on entry way. Mahvehlous dahlink!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear about the untimely passing of your beloved mug.

You have my deepest sympathies.

lime said...

the mug is dead, long live the mug!

the entryway is gawgeous. i have similar feelings about atlanta but for altogether different reasons...well, there is that portal to hell thing going on....

The Grunt said...

Nice paint job! Do you do trucks?

S said...

You said visual! Sighhh......

I just love your description of Atlanta Airport...can you do the same with Frankfurt Intl? You have been there, right? What a ghastly nightmare.

The hall does remind me of squash soup....sigh...cant wait to see the rest!

Unknown said...

I used to have this giant Michigan mug that I loved to death. Then it broke. I haven't replaced it yet in my heart, and it's been 10 years.

And excellent job on the entryway.

Nessa said...

I like the new mug, it matches the color of your hall, which looks very sunny, too.

Painting is a great way to perk everyone up.

Anonymous said...

You are 100% correct about Atlanta's airport. Everytime I'm there something bad always happens. Getting stuck on the train or having to move gates at the last minute.

Cursed place.

I also have to agree with the poster that said San Diego has a wonderful airport.

Dan said...

You were right to let go of the Georgia mug. Crazy Glue would have only prolonged its suffering and simply put off the inevitable for a small amount of time.

Bless you for being with it until the very end.

egan said...

I'm totally shocked you and Mr. Logo have different painting styles, shocked.

Logophile said...

Damasta~ That would be Mr.Logo's dream :D I'm afaid that when he married me he kissed that possibility goodbye. I don't think I've been to the San Diego airport, I shall add it to my list.

Mr. Logo~ Thank you, mwah! I'll do a pic of your mug later.

Snav~ Thank you, good friends are such a blessing in these trying times.

Lime~ I know! Beware, that is all I have to say about that.

Grunt~ That would need to be an exterior paint, right?

Susie~ Pics of the completed project will be soon. Frankfort, you know, the only time I went through Frankfort I didn't have any trouble. Paris was fine too, Milan on the other hand, mama mia!

Dorky Dad~ When I was wiring the new lamp in I thought of you, not because it was difficult, but just because if you have to stand around with your arms over your head that long it helps to laugh at someone else's pain. So sorry to hear of your loss. I feel for you.

Goldennib~ It is alway a great way to avoid regular chores. Mt. Laundry is looking very unstable.

Whistler~ I knew it was true!

Dan~ Glue and various fixatives had already been tried. She limped along as well as she could for as long as she could. I still miss her, sniff sniff.

Egan~ It hard to imagine, innit?

Blither~ The esteemed elder sister asked if I was painting taupe or olive and then burst into gales of laughter, I am not known for painting in neutrals. Pictures will be soon, promise.

Actonbell~ I have mood mugs, certain ones are just right for certain times but my Georgia mug was perfect so much of the time, sigh. I am trying to adhjust to sunshine. I love the process and the result of painting, but its so much WORK!

Jocelyn said...

You can just keep posting Before and After pictures. That'll keep me well satisfied!

Sorry about your mug...hope the coffee tastes just as good in your new one.

Logophile said...

Jocelyn~ As you wish! Thank you for your well wishes on the new mug. The beverages taste just as good but the mug doesn't quite feel right, if you know what I mean. Not sure if this is a temporary or permanent issue.

Jacob said...

Wish you'd told me about the mug. I can fix mugs. I have a real knack for those knicks. True story.

Anonymous said...

Gawpo~ She had been repaired repeatedly, I lost the will to prolong her passing.

Logophile said...

Annie~ No home improvement motivation for you, you must wait at least until your baby is sleeping through the night or you make everyone else feel like a loser. Sit down and coo at the little one.