Sunday, January 21, 2007

I got some stuff from Susie!!

My Susiji has returned from India and she sent me gifts.
I got some darjeeling tea, which is delicate and delicious. She also sent me a scarf which I am wearing in this picture. The photo is a little dark but trust me, it's gorgeous.
Speaking of tea...
as some of you know, good tea is a thing for me.
I got the mama started on a Rooibos tea kick.
The aged P, female model, tends to encounter new information in only one of two possible ways. It will be dismissed summarily because it does not fit with her pre-existing mindset, or it will be enthusiastically embraced and adhered to as if it were direct revelation from the divine.
The woman was destined to join a cult, its a good thing she didn't move to San Fran in the 60s. Anyway,
she is now a firm believer in the health benefits of red tea and in fact will lecture extensively, without provocation, on the amzing attributes of Rooibos tea. She has even checked to be sure I am providing my children with properly prepared servings of it on a regular basis.
It is simultaneously endearing and annoying.
I knew when I purchased the tea and book for her that this was an inherent risk, but I figured it might be better to have a new thing to obsess on than all the same old stuff again. I was telling the esteemed elder sister that when the mama gets going I sometimes miss parts of what she is saying because the external dialogue is,
"Uh huh...
mmm hmmm...
right...
uh huh."
Meanwhile the internal dialogue goes,
"That is completely nonsensical.
Let it go.
That statement has no relation to reality.
Shhh, just listen, its ok, just listen."

Who knew listening was such hard work?

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rooibos? Red? Wuh? I'm just now getting caught up to Jardeeling. But I will follow mamma's lead and try to find these. You're preaching to a coffee dude.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I knew. My female parental unit is exactly that way as well. There is a reason I live so far away. Then of course there's the big feud she's having with her sister who lives with her. Visiting them is always so much fun-NOT!

Anonymous said...

Mmmm. uh huh. right. Mmmmmm. Red tea. Uh huh.

Moms, as they age, get increasingly nonsensical. It's a rule. Dads just follow along blindly, totally afraid to do anything to upset the apple cart.

Anonymous said...

Yum...tea...pretty orange colors...yum.

Breazy said...

mmmm I love tea ! The scarf is very pretty and I like the wall at your back. I seem to argue with myself when certain people are talking to me. Sometimes it really hurts to listen ! LOL! Have a good day!

lime said...

i have that listening problem when the topic of discussion is football. mercifully, it will be all over in two weeks....yesm, i have absorbed that much information...

S said...

Who loves you, baby?

Anonymous said...

Give me her number. I've got some Shaklee vitamins she might be interested in.

Stephanie said...

What happened to green tea? I thought that was the 'IT' tea?? I'm so confused. There should be a newlsletter on this stuff.

Logophile said...

Gawpo~ I love the coffee too, but tea has a special place in my heart. if ever you wander Washington way let me know, I will indoctrinate you.

Claire~ That sounds like sooooo much fun.

Dorky Dad~ Yikes, this will not be my future, I swear it to you now, sob sob, As God is my witness, I'll never go hungry again!" Err, something like that.

Cindra~ Thanks, yes, its true, Imma taste sensation.

Breazy~ It does hurt, doesn't it?! Yikes, thanks very much, and you have a good day too.

Lime~ Oh you poor thing, and here I've been talking about my petty issues :P
No one should have to endure football talk, that is egregious.

Susie Q~ Mwah!

Diesel~ Get thee behind me.

Snavy~ Rooibos, technically, isn't a tea, it's a tisane, but you know, I didn't want to get all detailed. I bet there are newsletters.

Anonymous said...

I'm capable of listening... if there's a cup of tea within reach at all times.

Darjeeling, Earl Grey, Lipton (or the supermarket brand)... camellia sinensis, you're the one. I can't read about the Boston Tea Party without a secret shudder.

egan said...

Thay RoyBus stuff is good stuff for colds. And it's caffeine free. Enjoy the gift.