Saturday, February 03, 2007

The countdown continues...

Eleven days, folks!This morning I met with my sister and two of our cousins to do a breakfast date with our grandfather. He is in his 80s now, and getting around with the aid of a cane. He told us many stories, some familiar, some new ones, some by special request and some prompted by events of the moment. Some of you may recall that I mentioned he met my gramma in a bomb shelter during the bombing of London. The stories get better from there. He told stories about growing up in Brooklyn. He talked about his days in Vienna, helping to build the US military base in Iceland, various and sundry times he smarted off to commanding officers (unrelated rabbit trail, this is a time honored tradition, and HERE is someone who helped keep it alive). He figures with one thing and another, over the course of his career he gained and lost 13 stripes (those signify rank). When the Army Air Corps turned into a separate branch of the military my grampa was one of the first members of the Air Force.
Getting together was alot of fun and something we may decide to do on a regular basis. It's not a bad way to spend a Saturday morning. I had to be up 6:15 this morning and you know, I think it was worth it, and for me, THAT is saying something!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed your breakfast gathering.

6:15 am?? That's just wrong. ;p

lime said...

that's precious time. treasure it and listen carefully.

Anonymous said...

so good that you did that...you'll hold those times dear...basically...what lime said.

Hobbes said...

He seems to have made your day, and I bet you made his too.
Loved Skippy's list.

Jacob said...

Sometimes I wish we could fire wire our brains to a hard drive for all posterity. Storytelling may not be altogether dead, but it is sad knowing that when we go, so do most of the stories. I love history. Because I can't remember every story, I try to pay attention as best I can. So when I forget the story, I can at least remember that I enjoyed paying attention.

Anonymous said...

Snavy~ It IS wrong, but I loves me grampa, so it was all good.

Lime~ Definitely

Cindra~ It's true, that Limeykins is a clever one, as are you.

Weirsdo~ I got quite a snicker from that list myself. I am going to print it and get it to Grampa, I bet he will love it.

Gawpo~ Yup, we told him he better start writing these in the family memory book he was given. I know I won't remember them all, but I sure am trying.